Photo by cottonbro on Pexels.com
HAPPY NEW YEAR! It’s a new year and that means new year’s resolutions! While you are making this year’s resolutions, don’t forget to consider your HVAC system. Below are some HVAC tips and resolutions for the new year.
HVAC Tip 1- Sign Up for A Maintenance Contract
It is recommended that you have your HVAC system maintained twice a year. Scheduling regular maintenance for your HVAC system is extremely beneficial. Regular HVAC maintenance will ensure the longevity of your system and help your unit to run more efficiently. The Air Doctor allows customers to select an energy savings agreement that fits their budget and HVAC maintenance needs. For more information regarding HVAC maintenance, check out our blog post, “Benefits of Having and HVAC Maintenance Agreement”.
HVAC Tip 2- Learn More About Your HVAC System
Most people take the time to learn the basics about their car or computer. You should do the same regarding your HVAC system. Here are some helpful things to know about your system.
- Manufacturer. It is important to know what company manufactured your HVAC system. Not all service providers are able to work on all HVAC brands. The Air Doctor it able to service all major brands.
- Type of System. Knowing what type of system, you have (ex. package gas, heat pump, split system, geothermal…) is important. This information will help you better communicate with your HVAC service provider when problems occur.
- Age. It is important to know the age of your HVAC system. This information is helpful when determining when its time to consider replacing your system.
- Location. Knowing where your system and its components are located allows you to quickly direct the technician.
- Filter size and number of filters. Filters need to be changed every 1-3 months. Clogged and dirty air filters restrict air flow. Improper air flow will cause your HVAC to work harder and eventually break down. To learn more on how to change your filters, check out our blog post, “Air Filters: How To Change HVAC Filters”.
You don’t have to know everything there is to know about your system. However, knowing the basic information about your HVAC system will help you save time and money.
HVAC Tip 3- Get A Programmable Thermostat
This year, invest in a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows you to protect your HVAC system and save money. Constantly running your heat or A/C adds stress to your system and shortens its lifespan. You can program your system to heat and cool only when its needed. Another benefit of having a programmable thermostat is peace of mind. Have you ever left for vacation and wondered if you adjusted the thermostat before you left? A programmable thermostat will help alleviate that worry. You can set it and forget it. Many programmable thermostats also have WIFI capabilities that allow you to adjust your thermostat from an App on your phone! Call The Air Doctor today and gift yourself a programmable thermostat!
HVAC Tip 4- Keep Your HVAC System Free of Yard Debris
Plants and trees are a wonderful way to make the outside of your home beautiful. However, their debris can cause issues with your HVAC system. Make sure that trees, shrubs, and plants around your outside condensing unit are trimmed. Maintain and keep a 2-foot clearance around the unit.
Also be mindful when mowing your grass. Make sure to mow so that grass clippings and mulch are blown aware from your unit. Grass clippings and mulch can clog your HVAC condensing coils. Maintaining the area around your condensing unit will help ensure proper airflow and keep you unit running efficiently.
These HVAC tips and resolutions will help you maintain a happy HVAC system as well as a comfortable home. For more HVAC tips and information, make sure to check out our Customer Education tab. From everyone at The Air Doctor we would like to wish you a very Happy New Year!
The Air Doctor, Inc. 252-215-0966